Thursday, March 7, 2013

in sickness + in health

Today is a sick day. In this post I want to be careful not to grumble or complain; yet I do feel it necessary to be honest with you all {as I am sure you value my honesty & it would be nice to know some people are praying for me}.
Every Tuesday- Friday morning I have devotions at the church. After devotions on Tuesday-Thursday I have a three-hour class. Tuesday is Daniel class, Wednesday is Acts class, and Thursday is Mark class. When I woke up yesterday morning, I had a sore throat. It wasn't enough to cause much trouble -- except that I was drinking water like a fish -- so I went about my day. In the evening {on Wednesday}, I felt rather ill. I stayed home from Bible study because I knew I needed to take it easy & rest if I was going to try and make it through class this morning. When I woke up I felt like a mess. I waited until the very last minute and gently peeled myself out of bed. I got ready in like five minutes, I kid you not. "Lazy day looks" are so speedy, I should do them more often. Anyway, the walk to the church took most of my low energy away and sitting through devotions {which were led by my friend Samantha, she did the most incredible job} was really tough. I asked to be excused from class because I knew that I couldn't sit through a three-hour lecture if a thirty-minute devotion was too taxing.
When I got home, I took a bath and had what my friend Alicia calls a "homeopathic cocktail" -- basically a mixture of water, a bunch of honey, & fifteen drops each of Tea Tree Oil, Echinacea, Oil of Oregano and some other natural, disgusting-tasting immune booster. The house was quiet since the girls were gone {except for Alicia, who is also sick}, so I was able to get a solid hour of sleep. After my nap I felt incredible. I knew, though, that it wouldn't probably last for too long, so I was careful to take it easy.
On Thursdays, we have a class called "Women's Discipleship" that we host at our apartment. It is led by the Bible College director's wife, Maria, and co-led by some of the ladies associated with the college. I almost sat through the whole thing, but I had to go into my room to lay down towards the end. I couldn't fall asleep, but I felt a bit better once I was laying down. I've been up for a few hours now looking at this really cute blog made by a hairdresser living in Paris called She Lets Her Hair Down -- I know that last bit of information was probably not interesting the male populous in my following, but I can think of a few ladies who might enjoy it as much as I do *hint, hint: Krissy & Jenni*. Getting back on track, I feel pretty bad right now but I am hopeful that after I take some NyQuil and conk out, I should feel a bit better.
I would be dishonest to say that I am not feeling a tad bit homesick right now. The only time in my life that it has ever been truly hard to be away from home, and the US for that matter, is when I am sick. I miss having "Momma Jen" and "Momma Sarah" to act as stand-in doctors. I miss having my Daddy Bob to coddle/cuddle me. And I really really miss having my Momma to do what she does best, be there for me. I also miss canned soup and ritz crackers, and my silly little beagle, Dippy.
Please, please, please be mindful to pray for me, as I know most of you have been faithful to do. I love you all and I hope to be able to write to you again with renewed vigor and a lot less grogginess.
Yours, in sickness + in health,
Em
my crazy, strange, + wonderful family {minus a few}

1 comment:

  1. I totally zoned out when you mentioned that hair stuff, then I snapped out of it when you said "most of the guys wont care for that bit of information"
    -Dan Beltran

    ReplyDelete