Monday, March 11, 2013

thunder, lightning, europeans -- oh my!

It's fixing to storm in Montebelluna & I'll have you all know, I am feeling much much better. Thank you for the prayers and love, it was a wonderful morale booster. I have a bit of a cough lingering but the other symptoms have left me {thank goodness!}.
Let's get back to the good stuff -- the weather! It was a bit warmer today than the other days this week, so much so that a light sweater was even nearing a bit much at the warmest time of day. The Italians wear their big winter coats all year long so I get the funniest looks when I go out in my spring clothing - but hey, if it's warm enough I don't plan on burning to death in a heavy jacket. I took a walk to the "milkeria" today with a few of the Browns. The clouds were a mixture of white and gray, puffy and wispy, ominous and cheery. A couple of blue spots dared peek through and give us a glimpse of the sky beyond the cloud layer. It started to lightly sprinkle as I dropped the kids back off at their house and took my milk home. I had some homework to do, so I headed back into town to be "studious" at Café Corona {a little coffee shop owned by a kind gentleman that attends the church}. I was listening to the song "Dancing in the Moonlight" off of the "A Walk to Remember" soundtrack as the sky seemed to burst open out of nowhere. You may be able to imagine my delight. The rain cleared as I finished up my homework, which was quite a blessing because my walk home would have been very long & very very wet otherwise... especially for my computer, it's not exactly -- how you say -- water proof.
Oh my goodness, how I wish you all could have been on my walk home with me! It was glorious. Truly glorious. I talked with the Lord as I walked and I asked repeatedly that He would hold back the rain just until I made it to the safety of the apartment. He kept bringing to my mind the verse in Psalms that says "For You, oh Lord, will bless the righteous; with favor You will surround him as a shield." I began to understand more fully that I am His child; even in the things that I deem petty or unimportant, He cares deeply. He is concerned with the simplest of my worries and requests. Just as my daddy would do anything to get me home dry & happy, even so my Father held back the rain and gave me a marvelous view.
The skyline was gorgeous. I had a huge gray cloud looming over my head the whole way; to my right & to my left were blue patches and layers of differently colored and shaped clouds. Montebelluna seems to grow even lovelier with a new background -- the Italian sky creates an incredible atmosphere. I was trying really hard the whole way home to keep my giddiness from showing in my expression -- I don't want the straight-faced Europeans thinking I'm insane, you know.
I almost forgot! The sky flashed with lightning five times during the fifteen minute walk. I couldn't help but grin from the adventure of it all as the thunder rolled through. It was much fun, much much fun. I realized in a moment how alone I am -- I am in a foreign country where I know virtually no one, the only people I do know I have known for less than a month, I hardly speak the language of the country I  am living in, I have never seen 95% of the people I pass while walking through the streets -- but I realized even more how present the Lord is. And how thrilling this time of my life is. It is unreal that the Lord would call me, only seventeen years young, the baby of the family to partake in this experience. When I say that I realized how alone I am, I am not implying loneliness, for I certainly do not feel lonely. I do feel, however, that this time of being independent is allowing me the chance I have always wanted and never been afforded -- a chance to see the Lord mature me and grow me into a woman.
To bring this unintentionally long story to a close, it started pouring down rain shortly after I got home and it has been in the early stages of a thunderstorm ever since. We are having a movie night tonight, complete with the works: popcorn, chocolate, cookies, chips, and Pride & Prejudice with Italian subtitles. It should be the perfect amount of crazy.

We'll be chatting again soon!
Em

5 comments:

  1. Emmy, carissima! Thank you for sharing your walk with us. You write so beautifully of God's love. It truly touches my heart to hear of your many adventures and of how you are growing on this trip. Hope your movie night was as fabulous as it sounds! Love you and praying, as always. Also, first comment. Woot! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Krissy, carra! I'm glad to see that you are reading along; it is seriously so convenient to have this as an option so all my loved ones can be keeping up with my travels in one spot. It is also nice because I feel like I have you here with me <3
      Love you so much
      xoxo

      p.s. you are such a trend-setter ;)

      Delete
    2. Em, yes! Having the blog is brilliant! We are all so blessed that you take the time to share with us. My heart is there with you (as I know are many others')... and it's having an excellent time!!! :) I love you so much. Keep doing what you're doing, lady. You are in my prayers incessantly.

      p.s. you got a literal lol out of me with the "trend-setter" comment! teehee

      Delete
  2. Dearest Em. My heart is grateful as I see your love for your father and your reliance and deep love for your heavenly Father. My prayers are being answered in measured detail as you journey into the caverns of the Word of God. May you continue to mine the treasures within the text and may you experience more of His Divine presence as you walk in the land He created. I love you and thank you for taking my heart on the epic adventure. Love, Pappa
    or in Italian:
    Carissima Em. Il mio cuore è grato come vedo il tuo amore per tuo padre e tua dipendenza e profondo amore per il vostro padre celeste. Le mie preghiere sono essere risposto dettagliatamente misurato come te viaggio nelle caverne della parola di Dio. Possiate continuare a miniera di tesori all'interno del testo e possono sperimentare di più della sua divina presenza come si cammina in terra che ha creato. Io vi amo e vi ringraziamo per il mio cuore nell'epica avventura. Amore, Pappa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emmy,
    I love that we can reply to you on this! I didn't realize it until Daddy told me about it. As your Momma, I want to tell you not to go places alone... like into town. But I will refrain. Instead, I will say that I am glad that God held back the rain when you walked back to the apartment. I wish I could have walked with you to the cafe and then back to the apartment. You know how much I love rainy days, and spending one with you in Montebelluna would be superb! I am also sure that you know I left my heart there with you. I look forward to these blogs as it makes me feel a little closer to you. On behalf of Angela as well as myself, PLEASE write more often... of course make sure your homework is done first ;)
    I love you and miss you more than you would ever imagine! And yes, I am counting down the days until you return... 52 days from today.
    BTTSAMTWCET!
    Momma

    ReplyDelete