Friday, April 5, 2013

sights-to-see, p.1

Colosseum:
It was hard to wrap my mind around the significance of the monument. As I stated in the last post, it is so rich history both insomuch as Christianity is concerned and secular history is concerned. Though the amphitheater was not designed for the purpose of Christian persecution, how many thousands of men and women gave their lives for the sake of Christ there! It was almost haunting to think about. Yet at the same time, it was a comfort to me. The reality of the scriptures comes to life in lands like Rome. We were told by a darling husband and wife team from the Mallorca Bible college, Raf & Loretta, the story of a female martyr named Perpetua who gave her life in the Colosseum. Being able to walk around and casually take photographs in the same place where that woman -- & many others like her -- gave all for the cause of the gospel was striking.
My friend Alicia was very touched by the whole experience and she remarked quite intuitively. She said that though the building was once used for unspeakable evils against God's people, He claimed victory over the city of Rome -- now the building serves as nothing more than a landmark, a tourist attraction. He has claimed the victory over what the enemy used for evil and now has made it come to nothing. God claimed victory over Rome once before & He is more than capable of doing it again.

I went to the Colosseum multiple times during my visit in Rome. We went inside as a group once but even being on the outside only is phenomenal. The character of the building changes drastically as the sky changes; the atmosphere was new each time I went. There was an evening where I ate dinner at the only restaurant with a close view of the Colosseum. *little side note about that: how ridiculous is it that only one restaurant has that view? And the restaurant wasn't even pricey! I was literally staring right at the Colosseum, only a few yards away {what the heck?!}* I get so excited when I say that I have eaten pasta in Rome while looking at the Colosseum.. How many of YOU can say the same? Pardon my teasing, I just don't think I'll ever be able to get over how cool that is.
While on the subject of the Colosseum: I saw Pope Francesco! "How are those related?" Thanks for asking! Well, there is a traditional "passion of the Christ" reenactment that takes place in the lawn area between the Colosseum & Forum on the evening of Good Friday. The pope speaks; it is a really big deal -- they go all out. A group of us got dinner and gelato nearby, and walked past this elevated area right across the street from the Colosseum with a great vantage point. The streets were packed, as was the area we were in. However, I was able to pop my head out from the hoards of people just long enough to catch a glimpse of the tiny figure speaking on the field. How many of you can say that you have seen the pope in person, huh? Pretty neat experience, I'd say.

Forum:
The Forum was an interesting place to be, as well. The view from Nero's Garden area is spectacular. I could only imagine what it must have been like to look over the city in its height of splendor! But seeing all the old Roman edifices in ruins made me reflect on the feebleness of humanity. The Roman Empire took such pride in its opulence and grandeur; they epitomized the worship of man & his accomplishments -- yet Rome fell. As with every other great civilization of old built upon the celebration of man, Rome fell. We see today merely a silhouette of what once was. Man truly is a "creature of breath, lord of a point." All of our lofty attempts to show how spectacular we are vanish like smoke. Trying to grasp earthly dominion is like grabbing at vapor. Rome, the Eternal City, the apotheosis of human brilliance, fell. It did not even fall from outside forces; it fell from within. The kingdom crumbled & I was able to go and see all around me the tarnished remnants.

St. Peter's Basilica:
I'm sure you guys have caught onto a theme throughout these posts of honesty. I esteem honesty highly & I strive to be entirely honest with you. Perhaps it makes you a little uncomfortable at times, for that I apologize, but I think it is important.
That being said...
The church was entirely too elaborate. It made me sick thinking of all the good that could have been done with the amount of money that was poured into that project if only it was spent in an effort to reach the poor and the lost. The ceiling is essentially made of gold and there is vast quantities of marble used in the flooring and in the statues of the popes. The opulence in the church mirrored the opulence in the rest of the Roman erections. If that much time, funding, and effort was exerted and directed towards reaching the unsaved & ending poverty {and a whole host of social injustices, for that matter} -- there is no telling how different our world would be today! It is nauseating to reflect upon.
Regardless of this, I do need to say that the experience was not entirely negative. Piazza San Pietro was quite pleasant and being afforded the opportunity so early in life to have been to Vatican City is remarkable. I was able to go up to the Cupola! From atop the dome, you have a view of the whole entire city of Rome. It was insane. The numerous, arduous steps to get to the top & the tight, "Alice in Wonderland" through-the-rabbit-hole curving walls were all worth it. It was slightly overcast -- which, as some of you know, I love -- making the whole thing entirely more sweet. Ahhh, it's brilliant to recollect.

You'll hear more in sights-to-see, p.2!
xo Em


"All flesh is grass, and all its loveliness is like the flower of the field.
The grass withers, the flower fades, because the breath of the Lord blows upon it; surely the people are grass.
The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forever."
Isaiah 40:6-8
"Man is like a breath; his days are like a passing shadow."
Psalm 144:4

To end, here is an excerpt from one of my favorite poets:

What's earth, what's life, to space, eternity?
'Tis but a flash, a glance -- from birth to death;
And he, who ruled the world, would only be
Lord of a point -- a creature of breath;

And what is it to gain a hero's name,
or build one's greatness on the rabble's roar?
'Tis but to light a feeble, flickering flame,
That shines a moment and is seen no more.
-James Gates Percival

1 comment:

  1. I miss you Emmy! Thank you for posting your insights and experences. The scripture and the poem were the perfect ending to this post. Oh BTW, only 27 days until you are home :)

    ReplyDelete